April 24, 2017
16 Inside Leads
3 Outside Leads
4 Yelp Reviews
52 Firms are currently members of Long Beach Execs
32 Firms were present at today’s meeting
Date: Monday, May 1, 2017
Location: The Grand
Program Company: Executive Association of Long Beach
Program Member: Executive Director
Guest Speaker: Bring Your Staff to Execs Day
Member Focus Talk
, Long Beach
On Monday, April 24th, 2017 the Long Beach Executives Association met for their weekly business to business networking lunch in Long Beach. This week Scott Williams brought in our guest speaker, his daughter-in-law, Jennifer Clarke-Williams. She is in the identity theft field and presented a wealth of information to the EALB.
Here are a few highlights from her talk:
Impact of Fraud on Business
- According to a recent article in Forbes Magazine, business losses to fraud schemes are estimated at $60 billion annually.
- According to the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, a survey conducted in 2010-2011 demonstrated global losses to fraud are estimated at 5% of revenues or $3.5 Trillion dollars annually.
- Small businesses are facing the largest increase in losses due to fraud schemes.
- Employee fraud is also on the rise.
- Run background checks on new employees.
- Limit cash transaction access.
- Check employee bags at closing.
- Install cameras to monitor registers.
Personal Identity Theft
2016 statistics show a $16 billion loss to consumers due to identity theft schemes.
According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics an estimated 17.6 million Americans were victims of Identity Theft in 2014.
86% of these cases were misuse of existing credit card or bank accounts, this type of fraud is known as an Account Takeover. 4% were victims of fraudulent applications using their identity. 7% of victims experienced multiples types of identity theft.
Trends indicate that more victims tend to be female. Victims are normally between the ages of 25 to 64. Households with an income of $75,000 or more had the highest prevalence of identity theft at 11% total.
- Shred all documents that include personal information.
- Use strong passwords and set up alerts so you can get immediate text messages or emails regarding suspicious activity.
- Never give out your password.
- Always use your chip - don't swipe. Most credit card happens with the swipe method. If your card has a chip, use it.
- Don’t fall for scams.
- Monitor your bank account weekly if not daily.
Yelp Reviews Count as a Lead
Yelp profile links are dominating search engine results. Don't get left behind. Claim your business page and start writing reviews of other businesses today!
Consider reviewing the Executives Association this week:
Rememer to invite guests to keep our membership continually growing!
1st Classification Postings:
2nd Classification Postings:
Welcome New Members:
Event Planner: Shauna Wise, Palm & Pine
PGA West La Quinta Condo. Call Jim Nesmith for details (562) 900-2230.
Traveling? Call Pat Ellington for toady's hot deals.
Board Meeting at a Glance
Special Meeting of the Board on 4/24/17 at 1:15pm
Members Present: Jennifer Sawday, Scott Williams, Tom DiLeo, Vince Bunting, Jay Beeler, Kris Gragson and Kellie Sherrill (ED).
Motion to approve Shauna Wise as the Executive Member for Pine & Palm Events under the classification of Event Planner.
Motion: Tom DiLeo 2nd: Jay Beeler All in favor? Yes. Any opposed? None. Motion Carries.