The meeting went well. There was a request to update one item on last years minutes. The budget was unanimously approved. The directors were approved as well. 2018 is off to a great start!
Remember to invite guests to keep our membership continually growing!
1st Classification Postings:
2nd Classification Postings:
Josh Thomson of Thomson AC
Classification: Heating & Air
Brought in by Machelle Thompson
Welcome New Members:
Welcome Hugh Wolf of Speeder Imaging in the classification of Signs
Other Membership News:
Classification of the Month:
Featured Classification for February:
Traveling? Call Pat Ellington for toady's hot deals.
PGA West La Quinta Condo. Call Jim Nesmith for details (562) 900-2230.
Board Meeting Minutes:
EXECUTIVES ASSOCIATION OF LONG BEACH
BOARD MEETING AGENDA
February 8, 2018 – 6:00pm | Joint Board Meeting
Location: Digital Installer’s Board Room
6:11 PM M. THOMPSON OPEN MEETING
PRESENT: __x__K. Gragson (P) __x__J. Sawday (VP) __x__ J. Beeler (S/T) _x__ V. Bunting
_x__T. Di Leo __x__ R. Deeble __x__ K. Rodgers ____C. Vane __x__ M. Thompson (PP)
_x__J. Choura __x__S. Williams Others: K. Sherrill (Executive Director) __x__
6:11 PM M. THOMPSON JOINT BOARD MEETING
Welcome everyone to the 2018 Joint Board Meeting. It is during this meeting that we thank you for all your time and effort that you put into this board and the proper care and running of our association throughout the year. We will have a brief meeting followed by a special dinner. Thank you to Rusty Deeble for allowing us to use your space, thank you to Jim Choura for providing the dishes and thank you to TGIS for providing the food. Even this dinner is a great example of how together, we can accomplish anything.
Thank you to Jim Choura our outgoing Past President. Your leadership during a difficult time for our association was very much appreciated by us all! We are grateful for all that you have done and continue to do for the EALB!
I’d like to thank outgoing board member Scott Williams. Scott has been an official board member for a short time but has attended board meetings for many years as our legal counsel. You have been a champion of the bylaws and policy manual for 40 years, always advising proper adherence to our governing documents. We all have learned a great deal from you and will be sure to read and re-read the bylaws often. Thank you for your extended service to the EALB. You have given a great deal to the association.
Lastly I’d like to welcome our new board members Kimberly Rodger and Corey Vane. Our association has been around since 1922. Board members like yourselves and those you see around you are the reason our association is nearing it’s centennial anniversary. Without your service and commitment to making our association great, we wouldn’t be here tonight. Please read the Bylaws and Policy Manual in your binder and attend each board meeting ready to govern in accordance with these. Thank you for your willingness to volunteer to serve. We appreciate you.
Thank you to the entire board for your time and dedication. I am honored to be the President of the Executives Association of Long Beach and serve with such great leaders. Let’s make 2018 a great year of leads, growth in membership and camaraderie!
6:15 PM M. THOMPSON ELECTION OF OFFICERS
President, Kris Gragson, GK Media
Vice President, Jennifer Sawday
Secretary/Treasurer, Jay Beeler
- Motion to approve these officers for leadership in 2018/2019?
- Motion: J. Choura 2nd: K. Rodgers Discussion. In favor: 10 Opposed: 0 Motion carries.
6:20 PM M. THOMPSON RESIGNATION
At this time in order to remain in accordance with the Bylaw change in regards to the number of Directors on the Board I would like to resign my post as Director and will remain on the Board for 2018/2019 as the most immediate and available Past Present.
Mr. President. Please complete the meeting. I wish you all the best during your reign.
6:25 PM K. GRAGSON MINUTES
- Motion to approve minutes from the January 2018 Board Meeting and both Special Meetings to approve the 2018/2019 budget?
- Motion: S. Williams 2nd: M. Thompson Discussion. In favor: 10 Opposed: 0 Motion carries.
6:30 PM J. BEELER FINANCIAL REPORTS
- Motion to receive and file the financial reports for December and January 2018
- Motion: V. Bunting 2nd: M. Thompson Discussion. We are re-approving the December 2017 financials after K. Sherrill realized we had been working off the wrong budget. The approved budget from 2017 was never properly input into Quickbooks. This year K. Sherrill has created the proposed 2018 budget herself in Quickbooks so this will not be an issue going forward. In favor: 10 Opposed: 0 Motion carries.
6:35 PM J. SAWDAY MEMBERSHIP
- Frank Messano went into abeyance in November. At the end he asked for more time because he was overwhelmed at work. I contacted him on January 7th and never heard back from him until yesterday. J. Nesmith reached out to him a week ago to try to persuade him into staying. He is not interested in maintaining his membership at this time. He will be removed from the buyers guide and website effective immediately. The classification of Financial Planner is now open. If he decides he is interested at a future date, he can submit an application if the classification if still open. Tom DeLio is going to speak to him one more time as well.
- We have a new member Hugh Wolf of Speeder Imaging! Thank you J. Berg for bringing him in.
- Doug Shea switched companies and resigned. He is now working with Centennial Advisors. He did not want to submit an application for us to review. The classification of commercial real estate is now open.
- Machelle invited Josh Thomson, owner of a heating and a/c company and he submitted an application that day. Well done Machelle.
- Motion to approve membership for Josh Thomson of Thomson Air Conditioning in the classification of Heating & Air pending that there are objections from the membership prior to Monday.
- Motion: K. Rodgers Second: V. Bunting Discussion. In favor: 10 Opposed: 0 Motion carries.
6:40 PM J. BEELER BUSINESS PROMOTION
- J. Beeler will be the chair of this committee going forward. K. Gragson would like to stay on the committee and see the event through. Please meet with the committee and get this event going. We need a date set asap.
- Committee Members: Jay Beeler (Chair), Kris Gragson, Kimberly Rodgers, Corey Vane, Elizabeth Riley, Mary Loos and Eric Speier.
6:45 PM K. GRAGSON/K. SHERRILL OLD & NEW BUSINESS
K. Sherrill’s contract was not renewed in 2016. Do we need an employment contract? Should it be month to month? J.Sawday and S. Williams will work with Kellie to create a new contract with Knightling, Inc. on an at-will basis that will be presented at the next board meeting.
K. Sherrill is working on creating a procedure manual for the EALB Executive Director. That way, all of the annual procedures are in one place with the duties and dates clearly defined.
Our insurance policies were reviewed. We are able to reduce our business insurance from $500 to $400 by removing the property coverage that included our old Executive Director, Peggy Holloway’s house. The Directors & Officers policy will stay the same.
Our IEA annual dues have been paid as well. Eric Speier is our IEA ambassador and also volunteered to be on the IEA Board of Directors. He mentioned that they are planning to meet in person for one meeting but hasn’t given me any additional information on that.
6:50 PM K. GRAGSON GOOD OF THE ASSOCIATION
- K.Sherrill will send the calendar pdf out to all members for their records. They are also able to add the Google Calendar to their own through the Execs website.
- On Saturday, July 17th Don Temple Storage is having a 50th anniversary celebration at POA Park and would like the Execs to participate in some way. More details to follow.
- Multiple board members would like to see more social outings happening in addition to the regular meetings so they can get to know the members better. It was tried years ago and there wasn't much interest but with a different mix of members now may be a good time to try that again.
- K. Rodgers proposed that we try arranging members who want to participate into groups of 3 so they can make a plan to get together for coffee, lunch or an outing to get to know each other better.
- The Next Board meeting is on Monday, March 12th at The Grand at 1:30pm in Jim Choura’s board room. Thank you Jim for allowing us to continue to borrow your board room.
7:18 PM K. GRAGSON ADJOURN